Wizards/Witches (also called sorcerers/sorceresses, mages, etc.) are ancient beings who possess a large variety of magical powers. Some are also humans and/or trolls who are skilled practitioners of the art.
True wizards and witches often take on the common appearance of humans. Most are usually seen wearing suits of armor (regardless of whether they are in battle or at ease).
Not much is currently known about the world of wizards, only that a few wizards (such as Merlin and Morgana) have been implied to have existed on Earth long before the creation of man, much like trolls and even Akiridions.
It's discovered through Eli that some wizards actually live a common life like average civilians do, even in modern time (most likely to hide their true natures). It can be theorized that they are constantly practicing/honing in their magic powers in secret, as well as perfecting their knowledge and skills.
Like many incarnations of wizards, there is a master (one who is highly experienced in the art of magic) and an apprentice (one who is studying and inexperienced in the art and is mentored by their master). Apparently, an apprentice is not always a youngling, as Morgana was once Merlin's apprentice, despite her being implied that she is either as ancient or more so than he is.
Powers & Abilities
Wizards and witches are well known for their capability of performing enormous feats of magic. A few wizards have a gift of glimpsing the future, yet they are not always clear. Powerful wizards are also able to absorb the magic of others and even appear as spiritual projections regardless if their bodies are imprisoned or under deep slumber. Most are also immortal, as they can live (as well as sleep) for thousands of years without dying or aging, and no mortal weapon can kill them, especially a few magically-crafted ones (like when Jim tried to impale Morgana with his Eclipse Blade, but she was completely unfazed).
They can also be very skillful speakers, being able to twist reason and logic (with or without the aid of their magic) to get what they want. This would make them very skilled manipulators, whether being good (as in "doing what they have to do" for the sake of the greater good) or evil (as in treating allies as "pawns" to get what they want for their own sake).
Despite their nearly-unlimited power, a wizard's magic can be depleted if they use too much of their power all at once. This leaves them losing most of their magical powers and being rendered unable to use magic beyond simple "parlor tricks" (if they still have some magic left in them).
Also, in many incarnations when concerning with magic, the arcane energies of the universe requires a delicate balance, as a spell's action may result in a certain reaction (especially to the universe and/or the spell caster, depending on the severity of the spell in general). Their spells can often be unpredictable, as it's also the very nature of magic.
Dark magic is also something a wizard should always be considerably wary of. Although dark magic doesn't always necessarily mean "evil" magic, it still possesses major consequences either way which can get easily out of hand and/or cause a significant form of damage/transformation to the caster. Although dark magic could (in a way) aid in a certain situation, there is still a certain dark reaction like a form of "self-sacrifice". It could leave the wizard highly addictive and susceptible to negative influences, open to corruption, having to face their own darkness, etc.
Presumably, inexperienced wizards may have little control over their powers, which can make them mildly to extremely dangerous without proper training and knowledge. They may also be considerably weaker than experienced wizards.
|Appearances in the Trilogy|
- More will be learned about the world of wizards in the ToA universe in the upcoming installment, Wizards.
- It's unknown if wizards are truly human (or if they ever were). It has been occasionally (yet vaguely) pointed out that Merlin and Morgana have been around long before the creation of mankind.
- Some humans (with enough willpower) can absorb some magic from wizards and make their magic their own, like what Claire Nuñez did while fighting for control of the Shadow Staff from Morgana. Though it's unclear if this would make Claire a true witch.
- Most wizards own familiars, who often assist them in the art of magics.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Trollhunters – "For the Glory of Merlin"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Felled
- ↑ Moving Day
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Trollhunters – "The Eternal Knight: Part 2"
- ↑ Trollhunters – "The Eternal Knight: Part 1"
- ↑ Trollhunters – "In the Hall of the Gumm-Gumm King"
- ↑ Trollhunters – "Bad Coffee"
- ↑ Trollhunters – "So I'm Dating a Sorceress"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Trollhunters – "The Exorcism of Claire Nunez"
- ↑ Trollhunters – "Unbecoming"
- ↑ Trollhunters – "A House Divided"
- ↑ Angor Reborn
- ↑ A Glorious End, Part Two