- “Glorious [death]!”
- ―Varvatos’ catchphrase
- Main article: Varvatos Vex/History
In his alien form, Varvatos has blue skin and four blue eyes with black sclera. He is larger and muscular than Krel and Aja.
He wears a glowing blue and teal armor, similar to an Akiridion's jumpsuit.
In his human form, Varvatos is an old man with grey hair, blue eyes, and a mustache.
His outfit consists of a red sweater, cream pants with a belt, a light blue Gingham shirt, and brown shoes.
Varvatos is extremely protective of Aja and Krel. He is also deadly and zealous. When his family was killed in a bombing long ago, he became blinded by grief and swore that he would make anyone pay. However, he soon befriended the king and he promised to protect the royal family. He also has a habit of speaking in the third person, rarely referring to himself in the first person.
He felt extremely guilty for allowing Morando and his minions to infiltrate the kingdom and has made it his goal to make things right again, even willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of saving Aja and Krel's mothership and parents.
Like his charges, Vex finds Earth customs strange and to understand human phrases literally. For example, when Aja gave him a hug, he assumed it to be a form of attack.
After being rescued from the Moon, Vex gains a second chance at doing the right thing and did everything in his power to regain everyone's trust. He becomes a much better Akiridion during the rest of his time on Earth, even explaining his feelings for Nancy. For the sake of Aja and Krel's safety and well-beings, Vex believes that he should use the king and queen's cores as he also believes the children are worth keeping alive than their parents, not even flinching when Aja (out of mere denial) angrily begins to accuse him as a traitor and a "murderer".
Varvatos later shows to have a heroic, selfless side as he was willing to protect the king and queen from an empowered Morando so they could use their cores to power up Seklos' cannon, despite knowing he could've been lethally wounded.
Powers & Abilities
- Akiridion Physiology: As an Akiridion, Varvatos is far stronger, durable, agile, and intelligent than a normal human.
- Superhuman Strength: Varvatos has a super upper body strength that can defeat almost any opponent. He could lift and throw a car with no strain and overcome an agile Zadra with ease. Even in his human form, both Eli and Detective Scott claim that he is strong for his age, and he was able to stop a large moving truck with little strain in "Mind Over Matter".
- Enhanced Endurance: Varvatos can endure more than an average human or common Akiridion
- Enhanced Durability: Varvatos is more durable than his royal charges. He was able to take a full blast from a god-empowered Morando, albeit severely weakened and required medical assistance.
- Enhanced Stamina: Varvatos can physically exert himself for long periods of time without tiring before fatigue begins to wear him down. This extends to his human form as well, despite its advanced age.
- Enhanced Agility: Varvatos’s greatest feats of agility were shown in "The Arcadian Job" when he flawlessly evaded a laser grid, despite his larger structure. Also, in his human from, he displayed an incredible agility for a human in a such advanced age, most notably shown in "Terra Incognita Part Two".
- Hypermetabolism: Varvatos an energy-based being who doesn't require organic consumption.
- Vacuum Adaption: As an Akiridion, Varvatos can adapt and survive in any atmospheric environment without any aid, but a planet's gravity does still affect him, as shown in "Moonlight Run".
- Oxygen Independence: Varvatos does not require oxygen to live.
- Longevity: As an Akiridion, Varvatos can live for hundreds of years, but is still vulnerable to death and can fall in battle.
- Swordsmanship: Like Zadra, Varvatos is a highly trained and true warrior. He is an accomplished swordsman, being able to rival Zeron Alpha and later Aja.
- Marksmanship: Varvatos can fire his serrator with great aim, such as when he vaporized Halcon with one shot and without harming Luug.
- Combatant: As the commander of the Taylon Phalanx, Varvatos is highly skilled in direct hand-to-hand combat. While fight the Zeron Brotherhood, he was able to flawlessly evade their attacks with one and two hands restrained. Plus, even though Zadra is smarter and faster than him, he was still able to defeat her direct combat, most likely due to his greater strength.
- Tactician: Originally, Varvatos was not intelligent enough to construct plans, since he was more into pulverizing on sight. However, after learning a few things from his elder friends, Vex uses their tricks of tactics to think one step ahead of his enemies. Like in "Truth Be Told", he tricked Zeron Alpha that he has brought them the king and queen's cores (which were actually bombs) so he could infiltrate the ship and save his charges.
- Physical Damage: Varvatos could most likely be forced to retreat into his core if he ever suffered too much damage. However, he barely survived a blast from a god-induced Morando once and never retreated to his core.
- Revenge: Varvatos desires vengeance (especially before reason) when something close to him is taken away from his life, like his late family being killed in a staged bombing. Morando even used this exploit to make Varvatos vulnerable enough to betray House Tarron after they refused to aid him avenge his family, and even trick him into leaving the planet defenseless when he stages a coup. Luckily, after realizing what he has done to Aja and Krel, he eases up his thirst for vengeance after eradicating the last remaining Zeron brother, and accepts the royals as his newfound family.
- Serrator: Vex uses his own serrator as a combat weapon as well. Unlike Aja and Krel's serrators (which look more like protractors), his is like a full circle and can form into a larger blaster capable of more power.
- Cane: In his human form, Varvatos almost always carries a cane, due to his "bad back". He often uses it as a weapon when engaged in combat in his human form.
- Main article: Varvatos Vex/Relationships
- Main article: Varvatos Vex/Quotes
|3Below Part 1|
| "Terra Incognita Part One"|
| "Terra Incognita Part Two"|
| "Mind Over Matter"|
| "Beetle Mania"|
| "Collision Course"|
| "D'aja Vu"|
| "Flying the Coop"|
| "Party Crashers"|
| "Lightning in a Bottle"|
| "The Arcadian Job"|
| "Truth Be Told"|
| "Last Night on Earth"|
| "Bad Omen"|
|3Below Part 2|
| "Moving Day" |
| "Moonlight Run"|
| "Dogfight Days of Summer"|
| "Mother's Day"|
| "Ill Gotten Gains"|
| "There's Something About Gwen (of Gorbon)"|
| "Asteroid Rage"|
| "Luug's Day Out"|
| "The Fall of House Tarron"|
| "The Big Sleep"|
| "Race to Trollmarket"|
| "A Glorious End, Part One"|
| "A Glorious End, Part Two"|
- The first time he is shown using first-person pronouns is at the end of the episode, "The Arcadian Job", when he confessed of his past betrayal to Krel, who was unconscious and in recovery. He mostly uses first-person pronouns when he's being sincere with his words and/or is in a state of regret.
- Varvatos appears to speak with some sort of Southern accent.
- A running gag in the series is people saying Varvatos is intense after talking to him. This was said by Eli, Seamus's father, and his elder friends.
- Varvatos is currently the only main star in the Tales of Arcadia franchise to not make any physical appearances nor has ever been mentioned once in Trollhunters, despite Part One of 3Below taking place during Part Three of Trollhunters.
- ↑ Guillermo del Toro’s ‘Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans’ Movie Scheduled for 2021. Variety (August 7th, 2020). Retrieved August 7th, 2020.