- “Our approach to the design of the Trolls was to make them fun and visually interesting. We designed recognizable 'types' that you'd encounter in a real bar [as well as other places, like shops] and created their troll equivalent. Usually when you have to work on secondary characters like the Trolls that are going to appear in the background, you try all the crazy ideas you have left in you in terms of shapes and colors. However, you have to be careful to not make them too crazy or unique or else that will draw attention away from the protagonists!”
- ―The Team at Headless Animation Studio[src]
Next to the humans, trollkind also has the largest form of societies and communities, all while living underground from the surface lands above and keeping their existence secret from mankind to prevent chaos and panic.
Trolls live in a society characterized by underground metropolises and the culture is composed primarily of trollish magic, charms, totems, and spells.
With the seeds of dissension and hate planted by the evil witch, Morgana, the trolls and humans were in constant conflict over the domination of the surface. The horrible deaths and bloodshed corrupted the first Heartstone, causing it to rot from within, and from inside it, Gunmar was born.
Gunmar led the Gumm-Gumm Army to take the power of the surface and to devour all of mankind. This unleashed a war between the Gumm-Gumms and the rest of the Trolls that ended when the Trollhunter, Deya the Deliverer, defeated Gunmar in the Battle of Killahead, exiling him and all his army to the Darklands.
Sometime during the European Renaissance, a king and Vendel made a feeble truce known as "The Pact" between mankind and trollkind. The Trolls said they would limit their diet to cats and used articles of clothing. But as the years went by, a conservative segment of trolls grew restless. They longed for the Gumm-Gumms' brutality and strength, they believed "The Pact" made them look weak, that humans 'looked down' upon them. It was time for them to venture forth to a new land, a land of hope and possibilities unlimited. For Vendel sensed a new and all-powerful Heartstone in a new place humans called the new world.
The Trolls stowed away on a ship called the Mayflower, along with several Gnomes for companionship and nourishment. They finally arrived at what is now New Jersey and after much searching, they managed to find a new Heartstone. There, they created the most notable troll community, Heartstone Trollmarket, a metropolis under the human town of Arcadia Oaks.
Trolls are characterised by their different-colored, hard, rock-like skin covered with carving-like tattoos and a recognizable koala-like nose. Some trolls, such as Blinky and Dictatious, have four arms and six eyes, and some of the background trolls have either one or two eyes.
Male trolls are bigger with large horns on their heads and have visible lower fangs. Female trolls are either big or slender, have no horns, and have smaller fangs similar to gnomes.
Powers & Abilities
Most trolls are shown to have near-invulnerability (due to their skin being entirely made of stone). Similar but different to immortal wizards, all trolls possess supernatural longevity, meaning they can live for hundreds of years (the oldest known troll was 5,352 years old as mentioned by an Elix-Lore-induced Toby in "Party Monster"), but are still capable of being killed, like when they turn to stone. They also have enhanced senses of smell and sight and can ingest any garbage or litters, but some cannot eat actual food. Some trolls, such as Blinky and Dictatious, are smarter than most trolls while other trolls, like AAARRRGGHH!!! and Draal, rely on brute strength. They are also more agile and faster than a normal human.
Direct natural sunlight is deadly for trolls because it turns them into stone on physical contact (although some races are immune to sunlight, such as Stalklings and Changelings). Some trolls are also prone to feral instincts and cannot eat actual human food.
|Appearances in the Trilogy|
- According to The Art of Trollhunters, the Darklands is actually the original Troll home world, but due to Gunmar's corruption, it gradually decayed and died. Its ecosystem was further damaged when magma from the Earth's core breached it.
- In the DreamWorks series How to Train Your Dragon, Gobber the Belch believes that trolls exist and steal people’s socks. Due to the fact that trolls can live for hundreds of years, eat socks, and share the same universe, it is implied that trolls used to live in the Archipelago.
- According to troll lore, it states that all forms of rocks and trolls (who are made of rock) have potential to possess magic, even human cut rocks. However, the strength of their potential does vary though.
- According to Morgana, trolls are naturally born of magic.
- Younger trolls are referred to as "younglings".