- “After a battle with Angor Rot, Claire steals the Shadow Staff from him and learns to harness its energy, which is powered by emotions. With its ability to create interdimensional portals, it enables Claire to instantly teleport to another location. The Shadow Staff's only limitation: it cannot teleport to the Darklands.”
- ―The Art of Trollhunters
It was later destroyed by Toby (under Claire's orders) so they could trap Morgana in the Shadow Realm forever. However, the staff was apparently restored by the Arcane Order and returned to Morgana after they freed her from the Shadow Realm.
After creating a massive portal to save the trolls in Trollmarket from Gunmar's takeover, the staff has unwittingly linked her to Morgana herself, turning her into the witch's personal puppet.
The staff was later given to Stricklander to hold open a portal long enough for them to free Claire‘s spirit from Morgana after she becomes possessed by the witch.
As the creator, the staff was originally bonded to Morgana. However, in "The Exorcism of Claire Nunez", it‘s connection with Morgana was completely severed by Claire while she fought for control.
However, the Shadow Staff was apparently restored by the Arcane Order and returned to Morgana after they freed her from the Shadow Realm. Even so, it is unknown what became of the Staff afterwards.
The Shadow Staff is a white, curved staff with purple-and-blue tints and a hooked end (resembling a lobster claw) and a metal handgrip (which is its portable form).
When active through negative emotions, the staff turns completely black.
The staff can be shrunk into the handgrip for easier portability and storage.
- Shadow Portals: The Shadow Staff utilizes the negative emotions of its user to open inter-dimensional shadow portals through the Shadow Realm, a dark plain of chaos and devoid of light or reason. When being used, the staff turns completely black. The staff's portals can connect very distant places. In the case the user does not know where their destination is, they can not open a portal unless they have an individual with whom the user possesses some emotional link so that it acts as an "emotional anchor".
- Shadow Generation: The staff can also create a shadow over the user, allowing trolls to walk through sunlight.
- Portable Form: The staff can fold into a pocket-sized stick.
- Shadow Realm Portal Spell: With this spell, it creates a portal that causes everything to be sucked into the Shadow Realm.
- Incantation: Drooma katorth-a myntarth-a klar
- Shadow Staff Reclaiming/Controlling Spell: With this spell, the Shadow Staff can be controlled and/or reclaimed if the user ever loses possession of it.
- Incantation: Azazazuth-Kinekh-Thoon
- Time Traveling (w/ Kairosects): As shown in the book Age of the Amulet, when combined with the unpredictable reactions of a defective Kairosect, the Shadow Staff can actually create a portal that will send as many as five individuals to a point thousands of years in the past.
- Shadow Blast: In the series finale, Claire blasted Morgana with some sort of shadowy torrent, to push her into the portal to the Shadow Realm. Claire was slowly pulled toward her own portal as she blasted Morgana, and ultimately had to resort to simply shoving Morgana through, suggesting that the spell isn't particularly powerful.
- “Claire is arguably the most powerful of the three. But, with that power comes a great cost. Jim can use his sword without facing any negative consequences and Toby, likewise, with his warhammer—but Claire, because the Shadow Staff is powered by emotion, it takes a toll on her.”
- ―Marc Guggenheim, Executive Producer[src]
- Incapable of Dimensional Travel: Even so, the staff's portals are not able to cross between dimensions (minus the Shadow Realm), since Blinky affirmed that it could not be used to enter the Darklands.
- Exhaustion: As mentioned by Claire, since the staff is powered by negative emotions (such as anger and fear), creating several portals at once takes a toll on her and exhausts her energy. However, after mastering her emotions, she was able to make as many portals as she wanted without much strain.
- Corruption: Excessive use of staff's power can cause the user to be corrupted by its dark magic and become possessed by the spirit of its original creator, Morgana. This happened to Claire at the end of Part Two, after she created a giant portal to rescue most of the inhabitants of Heartstone Trollmarket when Gunmar takes it over. It could also potentially kill the user nonetheless.
|Appearances in the Trilogy|
- In Icelandic, Skathe-Hrün (the Shadow Staff's true name) means "scathe-crashing" or "harm-crashing".
- If looked closely at the staff's handgrip (and portable form) the Trollish writing on roughly translates to "spath", which in English is (ironically) a peace lily. In French, it means "spar".