Half-Trolls mostly live the same as any ordinary troll. Although given that they're also half-human, they could most likely have a tendency to live on their own in many ways that trolls and humans normally do or don't.
Unlike other trolls, half-trolls appear more humanoid with human characteristics, like two opposite hands being troll and human-like. They also possess large horns, sharp fangs, and small pointy ears, as well as different colored stone for skin pigment. While most trolls have koala-like noses, half-trolls' noses are slightly more human, only hooked and flat.
One of the most human features half-trolls possess is that their blood is naturally red, which differs them to changelings, who have purple blood.
Powers & Abilities
As stated by Merlin, half-trolls are capable of performing feats beyond that of an average human and troll. They are noticeably stronger and faster, have more superior senses of smell and sight, are capable of jumping/leaping from long distances, and react much faster when in the face of danger.
Once the user uses the potion to turn into a half-troll, the spell doesn't wear off and there is no possible way to reverse the effects as they are to remain like this for the rest of their lives, which Merlin (as far as he knows) admits. However, it's been confirmed that the only way to reverse the potion's spell is with shadow magic (which Merlin despises), as Claire was able to use it to restore Jim to his human form.
Half-Trolls are also completely different from Changelings, as pointed out by Strickler. While changelings can switch from fully troll to fully human, half-trolls are neither; so he claims that it is highly unlikely if half-trolls could [ever] possess the ability to choose one form or the other.
When transformed, half-trolls may have a lot of trouble adjusting to their trollish half. As described by Strickler, it is very confusing/difficult to handle the emotions of both human and troll at once.
Like all trolls, they are vulnerable to sunlight and will burn, but it's unknown if they turn to stone from long exposure, due to being not entirely troll. They can no longer eat human food, instead crave other things such as metal, wood, and other materials.
|Appearances in the Trilogy|
- It's currently unknown if there were/are any other half-trolls besides Jim. Though, given the existence of the elixir that transformed him into one, it is a possibility that there have been half-trolls before Jim.
- So far, the only known way to become half-troll is to bathe in a special elixir. It's unknown if it's possible to be naturally born a half-troll since Jim was magically transformed into one.
- As seen in "Our Final Act" and confirmed by Aaron Waltke on Twitter and Discord, the only known way to reverse the effects of the half-troll elixir is with shadow magic (which Merlin never uses).
- According to past AAARRRGGHH!!! in "Battle Royale", when he sniffs Jim's hybrid form, he "looks like a troll, but smells like human", so he is mistaken as a changeling.
- The Human-Troll hybrid, the Human-Akiridion hybrids and the Heetlings are the only hybrid species in the Tales of Arcadia series.