- “If I've learned anything, it's that we don't draw strength from magic artifacts like amulets and swords. Our strength is something far less enchanted, but no less special — our friends. We are the protectors of this world. That's why I made the gamble I did: because the only way to stop the Arcane Order and save this world... is to do it together.”
- ―Douxie to Jim[src]
Hisirdoux "Douxie" Casperan is one of the main stars in the Tales of Arcadia franchise, serving as the main protagonist of Wizards, a minor character in Part Three of Trollhunters (major in its upcoming film, Rise of the Titans), and a minor character in Part Two of 3Below.
He is a wizard-in-training (now master) who worked as Merlin's apprentice, co-leader of the Guardians of Arcadia (alongside Jim), a graduate student of Arcadia Oaks Academy, a former employee of GDT Arcane Books and Benoit's French Bistro, and best friends with Claire Nuñez, Steve Palchuk, and Jim Lake Jr.
- Main article: Douxie Casperan/History
Douxie is tall and has fluffy black hair with indigo streaks (which, in the past, he wore in a top knot bun, and he regretted it immensely in the future). If looked closely, he has a small scar on his left hand, over his thumb area. He wears an enchanted bracelet on his left wrist which he uses to cast his spells (in the past, his bracelet was short, but over the 900 years since, it takes up the majority of his forearm). When angered or provoked into his magic state, his eyes glow bright blue.
In his civilian attire, he wears a black sweatshirt, gray jeans, and black high-tops. He also wears a skull-shaped necklace around his neck and wristbands (two on his right side and [formerly] a watchband on his left).
In his wizard attire, Douxie wears a long-sleeved blue tunic rolled up to the elbows with a hooded dark brown leather vest over it. He wears two belts over his vest and brown pants with knee high boots, and wears two bracelets on his right wrist.
The color of Douxie's magic is sky blue.
- “Hailing from Arcadia High School's rival, Douxie mysteriously appears on the scene to promote a "Battle of the Bands" contest, but soon becomes a jealous thorn in Jim's side. But as things progress, all is not as it appears when Douxie lets on that he has previously encountered the evil Nyarlagroth.”
- ―The Art of Trollhunters
In the past, Douxie was a clumsy, impatient, reckless, and whiny child who wanted to become a competent wizard and cease pushing brooms around. He was usually quick to jump at every opportunity to find more adventure to make his mark and make himself grow to master his wizardry abilities.
Nine centuries later, Douxie has become a charming, honorable, well-meaning, and hard-working apprentice who still wishes to prove himself worthy enough of becoming a master wizard, dreaming of one day wielding his own staff to protect the good of the universe. He enjoys practicing his powers and using them to protect the world from evil creatures, even if he has to do it in shadows alone. Despite his power, Douxie takes Merlin's lesson to heart that magic "is not a permissible shortcut to hard-work", so he tries not to let his power go into his head and genuinely works, only using his magic if needed.
Despite his over determination, he genuinely wants to set things right and help his friends out of trouble, because he believes that life is precious, and so are those closest to him, like Claire, Steve, and even Jim. Much like the other Guardians of Arcadia, Douxie is more than willing to do anything in his power to protect his friends when history is at risk of being interfered and meddled. According to Merlin, Douxie believes that all lives are precious to the world, including his friends'. As such, despite not knowing a way to cure Jim, he was still determined to find the solution to save his friend.
Douxie also has a chivalrous side, as he immediately infatuated Claire with his respectful mannerisms (making Jim jealous in the process).
When Merlin was killed by the very master he swore to protect, it hit Douxie really hard, yet made him motivated enough to find another way to fix things himself. He wanted to keep Merlin's staff as a keepsake, yet in order to save his new family (his friends), he must learn to let his master go and save everyone on his own terms, so he finally accepts his loss.
Powers & Abilities
- Magically Enhanced Physiology: As a wizard, Douxie's magic increases his physical strength and agility, more so than an average teenager his age physically.
- Enhanced Strength: He is shown to be strong enough to knock down a Gumm-Gumm troll with an air kick, as well as knocking it out cold with a good whack on the head with his guitar.
- Enhanced Durability: Douxie is clearly more durable than a normal teenager. However, he briefly died when he took a long fall from the Arcane Order's Fortress, yet brought himself back to life soon after.
- Agility: He is able to leap high enough into the air to air-kick a Gumm-Gumm.
- Magic: Douxie is a skilled practitioner in the ancient art of magic, after spending almost a millennium studying it. His exact strength, knowledge, and extent of his magic is clearly less than that of Merlin and Morgana, but strong enough to be considered competent and experienced enough. When angered and/or provoked, like when King Arthur throws Merlin to his death, he was able to unlock his magic state.
- Spell Casting: As a wizard, Douxie is more than capable of casting spells.
- Infinite Hallway Spell: Douxie can cast an infinite hallway portals that can trap his foes in a certain area with no way out. He once used this to purposely keep King Arthur and his knights from ambushing Jim and Claire, and later to keep the Arcane Order from escaping their own fortress.
- Attack Spell: Sharing this spell with Merlin, Douxie can cast a powerful blue beam of powerful magic capable of great damage, as he did when he confronted the Arcane Order.
- Incantation: Tenebris exilium
- Smoke Spell: In the past, Douxie can create a mist of blue fog to hide his escape attempts (though more often than not, it doesn't work out).
- Incantation: Gassus flotulus
- Sleep Spell: Douxie is able to put others into an instant deep sleep, as he did a couple of times with his past self in "History in the Making" and "Witch Hunt". However, overuse of this spell can cause permanent memory loss as Archie points out.
- Incantation: Interminus nocti sluumberso
- Sealing Prison Spell: When Merlin grows too weak to imprison the vengeful Morgana, Douxie uses this spell to imprison her himself and save history.
- Incantation: Sigilia infractum causera
- Magic Attacks: Douxie is able to use his magic for offensive attacks.
- Magic Blasts: Douxie can fire blasts of blue magic. At his most powerful, he was able to overcome both Skrael and Bellroc, yet it took a lot of strength to do so.
- Magic Bursts: Like Morgana, Douxie is able to create a massive burst of magic, capable of knocking surrounding enemies away from him, as shown in "Wizard Underground" when Arthur impales Merlin and throws him to his death.
- Telekinesis: Douxie is able to move things with his thoughts as he was seen stuffing his past self into a wardrobe and other objects by just waving his hands.
- Flight: After witnessing Merlin falling to his death, Douxie is able to fly at great speeds. While doing so, he leaves behind a trail of blue light.
- Barriers: Douxie can create blue shields to protect himself, but he clearly shows fatigue whenever his strength is overcome by a powerful force, like Morgana and the Arcane Order.
- Pyrokinesis: As shown in "Spellbound", Douxie can control fire with his magic. In "Killahead, Part Two", he was able to combine his magic with Archie's dragon fire to trap Morgana in a blazing wall of blue fire.
- Binding: Like Morgana, Douxie can summon blue ropes that can bind his enemies, but they're not nearly as strong as hers.
- Memory Projection: In "Witch Hunt", Douxie was able to use his magic on the tree name carvings of Arthur, Gwen, and Morgana to bring their childhood memories to life as projections.
- Banishing: Douxie was able to banish a Shadow Mephit into Limbo, but it is unknown how big of a monster he can banish.
- Magic Detection: In "Killahead, Part Two", Douxie was able to sense Morgana's dark magic, noting that she was close by.
- Semi-Immortality: As he existed since the Age of Camelot, Douxie has lived for nine hundred years without aging a day. However, he is still just as vulnerable to death as other humans.
- Spell Casting: As a wizard, Douxie is more than capable of casting spells.
- Indomitable Will: Like Jim, Douxie is determined to save his friends and the world no matter the cost.
- Staffsmanship: Douxie can wield a staff proficiently, as he's always dreamed of one day wielding a staff of his own. His skills with a staff nearly rivals that of Morgana and the members of the Arcane Order. However, he was completely outmatch against the Green Knight.
- Martial Artist: After nine hundred years of experience, Douxie is a fairly trained warrior and knowledgeable in single combat, much like Jim and Aja. He was able to hold himself off against Morgana, but is clearly not as fast as her, and fight back against Bellroc and Skreal. However, he was completely outmatched by King Arthur (who was resurrected as a being of anti-magic).
- Charm: As a boy who lived during the medieval times, Douxie is quite well at charming ladies with his manners, even Claire (who already has a boyfriend). Even Toby sees Douxie's persona as a threat to losing his own girl, Darci.
- Multilingual: After spending 900 years studying, Douxie is apparently capable of speaking the tongues of most magical creatures, such as Latin, Trollish, Orcish, and even Elvish. However, he cannot read Ancient Draconic.
- Monsterology: Although implied to be rusty, Douxie is knowledgable enough to understand monsters and magical creatures, yet mistaken a Shadow Mephit for another creature.
- Guitarist: Douxie is skilled with a lute and a guitar, as his own band won the Battle of the Bands many times in the past.
- Moonlighter: It should be mentioned that Douxie is able to work in more than one job so he could make his ends meet. He works in a book store as an employee during the day and at a restaurant as a waiter in the evening.
- Competent Tutor: Despite not being much of a good student, Douxie is capable of teaching the basics of magics to Claire, even teaching her more about shadow magic (something he has no capability of performing).
- Palmist: As revealed in 3Below, Douxie has some knowledge of palmistry as he can predict someone's future by reading their palms. He could tell that Aja has had "many travels" in the past and somewhat predicted that she would be taking "big trips".
- Magic Depletion: Like Merlin and Morgana, Douxie could deplete his magic if he uses it too much at once.
- Recklessness: According to Merlin, Douxie tends to be quite reckless whenever he tries to prove himself worthy, and he barely listens to very specific rules and is usually quick to involve himself in a situation when it means to protect his friends. His recklessness very nearly ruins history when he gets trapped in time, and him rushing in to save Jim cost Merlin his own life. However, Douxie admits in the afterlife that he's proud of making up his own plans his own way, just as long as he thinks them through.
- Charm Bracelet: Douxie wears a sort of bracelet on his left wrist which he uses to presumably channel his magic potential. Apparently, he cannot perform his spells without it, but it's unknown if this is true, or if he needs it to hone his magic.
- Staff: In "Killahead, Part One", Merlin creates Douxie a staff of his own, a symbol of his promotion into a master wizard which he always dreamed of earning. Ever since, he uses his new staff for both combat and as a cohort for his magic. Douxie's staff is sometimes morphed into an electric guitar which can create a shield and a beam of magic with a strum.
- Time Map: After he, Claire, Steve, and Jim get lost in the past, Douxie acquires a time map to make sure the timeline remains constant to protect the timeline from their meddling.
- Guitar: Douxie has his own guitar. He once used it as a weapon to knock out a Gumm-Gumm when it attacks Mary and Darci.
- Main article: Douxie Casperan/Relationships
- Main article: Douxie Casperan/Quotes
|Trollhunters Part 3|
| "Night Patroll" |
| "Arcadia's Most Wanted"|
| "Bad Coffee"|
| "So I'm Dating a Sorceress"|
| "The Exorcism of Claire Nunez"|
| "Parental Guidance"|
| "The Oath"|
| "For the Glory of Merlin"|
| "In Good Hands"|
| "A House Divided"|
| "The Eternal Knight: Part 1"|
| "The Eternal Knight: Part 2"|
|3Below Part 1|
| "Terra Incognita Part One"|
| "Terra Incognita Part Two"|
| "Mind Over Matter"|
| "Beetle Mania"|
| "Collision Course"|
| "D'aja Vu"|
| "Flying the Coop"|
| "Party Crashers"|
| "Lightning in a Bottle"|
| "The Arcadian Job"|
| "Truth Be Told"|
| "Last Night on Earth"|
| "Bad Omen"|
|3Below Part 2|
| "Moving Day" |
| "Moonlight Run"|
| "Dogfight Days of Summer"|
| "Mother's Day"|
| "Ill Gotten Gains"|
| "There's Something About Gwen (of Gorbon)"|
| "Asteroid Rage"|
| "Luug's Day Out"|
| "The Fall of House Tarron"|
| "The Big Sleep"|
| "Race to Trollmarket"|
| "A Glorious End, Part One"|
| "A Glorious End, Part Two"|
|Wizards Part 1|
| "Spellbound" |
| "History in the Making" |
| "Witch Hunt" |
| "Lady of the Lake" |
| "Battle Royale" |
| "Killahead, Part One" |
| "Killahead, Part Two"|
| "Wizard Underground" |
| "Dragon's Den" |
| "Our Final Act" |
- Douxie's statement about the Gumm-Gumms in "The Eternal Knight: Part 1" foreshadows that he is a wizard.
- The shop Douxie works at part time, GDT Arcane Books, are the initials of the franchise's creator, Guillermo Del Toro (GDT).
- It is unknown who Douxie's birth family was before Merlin took him in. He implies in "Witch Hunt" that the only real family he ever had before meeting Merlin was the company of his familiar, Archie.
- Due to Merlin's distaste for the dark arts, Douxie is not able to perform any sort of shadow magic, but is still capable of teaching Claire the basics.
- Douxie is one of the only main heroes of the franchise who currently doesn't have a love interest, the others being Eli and Krel.
- ↑ Guillermo del Toro’s ‘Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans’ Movie Scheduled for 2021. Variety (August 7th, 2020). Retrieved August 7th, 2020.